You know the expression, getting there is half the fun? Well, we’re pretty sure that does not include packing. In fact, probably one of the more stressful things when trying to leave for a trip is making sure you have everything.
From medicines and toiletries to unmentionables and clothing for all of your adventures, packing can be stressful. Not to mention, overpacking can be a costly mistake. Luckily, it doesn’t have to be.
Follow these 8 tips and avoid overpacking once and for all.
- Make a list. Start with must-have items that you will want to add to your carry-on for easy access. These should be items like your driver’s license, passport, flight itinerary, cash, credit cards, medications, phone, rental car information, hotel confirmation, and keys.
- Pack in stages. By packing early and in stages, you can go through the process of pulling together your clothing and essentials and knowing what you may need to stock up on prior to your trip. In addition, it’s a great way to know what may still need to be laundered before it’s too late.
- Pack light. By light, we don’t only mean fewer items. Choose easy travel pieces like lightweight shirts and pants that take up less space. So if you’re able to leave items like denim jeans at home, you’ll have more room for other items.
- Pack the essentials. It’s easy to get carried away when you are packing for a trip. After all, you want to look your best, take lots of pictures, and the like. However, items like hairdryers, robes, jewelry, and toiletries take up a lot of space. In addition, many times hotels and vacation homes will offer complimentary use of items like robes and hairdryers. If you can, contact your hotel or host to see what is included or could be requested.
- Plan on using a laundry service. Knowing you have access to a laundry service is a great way to limit the number of items you bring. Choose lightweight, mix-and-match basics, for easy styles, comfort, and packing. This is the time to get serious about which pieces of clothing really matter the most.
- Footwear is key. Along with your undergarments, good footwear is crucial for your trip. Because footwear is bulky, you will only want to bring what you know you will wear. For example, if you are going to the beach, you’ll probably want flip-flops. No matter where you go, you’ll want to also have a pair of comfortable walking shoes. You may even want these to be the footwear you choose to wear on your travel day.
- Go easy on the accessories. In addition to taking up valuable space, accessories like jewelry can add unneeded weight to your luggage. Is this something you can forgo all together? Or possibly minimize down to just a necklace and earrings?
- Pack it all in like a Pro! While this won’t make your luggage any lighter, it can save you space and ensure all of your essentials fit. When it comes to utilizing all of the space in your luggage, you’ll want to pack and organize like a pro. For example, when packing tee shirts, start by folding the arms the way you usually do, then roll them to save space. The same can be done with pants. Start by folding them in half, then roll. Now they’re perfect for stashing around bigger items and in the corners of the suitcase. Also, don’t forget to stuff socks and small items into your shoes.
Once you have everything packed, you may find a little extra room left over. Instead of filling it with extra stuff, why not leave yourself room for any souvenirs you bring home from your adventures?
Good luck packing!